Thursday, January 29, 2009

Jeudi Noir

Today I learned how to faire la grève (it means to go on strike). Earlier this week, we were warned of "Black Thursday" approaching, when government-employed workers would hit the streets, grève-ing. Transportation (trains, trams, buses, planes), banks, the postal service, schools, and hospital (wtf?!) services were all disrupted. Apparently the French are not too happy with President Sarcozy and his economic policies. They (like the rest of the world) are feeling the effects of the financial crisis, and are demanding job & wage security, greater purchasing power, action against rising unemployment, etc. Read more here: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1874757,00.html

I also learned how hardcore the French are about striking. Luckily, I didn't have classes at the University today (many students in homestays couldn't even get there due to interruptions in bus and tram lines). I had class at 2pm at the Museum in the center of Montpellier. Walking to class, it seemed like a chill day - lots of people at the outdoor cafes in the Place de la Comedie...do the French just sip coffee on greve day?! No!

I left class to find floods of people, old and young, taking to the streets. It seemed like everyone was greving for something else, but they all did it together. It was nice to see the French so passionate about being heard/part of their government. At first, I was like, oh shit this is annoying how will the country function/is this just an excuse for a day off from work? But after being a small part of the greve, I think it's just another badass perk of being French. It will be interesting to see what, if any, change this strike has on governmental policies.

I tried to snap some photogs of the commotion, but I didn't want to appear too touristy/like an outsider. This is the street I walk down to get home...obvs I had to find an alternate route today!



I'm a little tired after participating in the largest general strike in 3 years here. Will the French continue to strike through my February break? Stay tuned.

No comments: