
We walked around for a while trying to find the tourism office, and it took a few friendly French people to get us there. In MontP, it's easier to blend in, as there are so many students. But in a small town like Sete, we clearly stood out as lost Americans. Anyways, we decided to climb Mont Saint Clair, about a 40 minute steep hike, but the view at the top was great! My pictures did not turn out too well, but the sun eventually came out when we got back to the bottom.

On the way down, we stumbled upon a really cool/eerie cemetery. There were hundreds of graves nestled on the side of the mountain. Most of the graves were decorated with bizarre ceramic flowers. Paul Valery, a famous poet born in Sete, and the man who our school is named for, is buried there! We then wandered around the shipyard for a little and took lots of pics of the sea.


After all of that walking and calorie-burning, we decided to treat ourselves to pastries. I had a yummy 'tarte aux myrtilles' - a blueberry tart. Mm it was sweet and sour and flaky and moist all at the same time.
OMG side note! I now have a fruit lady AND a baguette lady! It took me 5 semesters to become a regular at the coffee place at PSU, and only 5 days to become a regular here. The woman in the boulangerie around the corner from my apartment likes to talk to me in French about French bread. The bread is probably one of my favorite things about this country. Panera ain't got nothin on this woman's goods. And there are fresh veggie/fruit markets on the Place de la Comedie (main square of the city) everyday, and I always get a pinklady apple from the one woman's stand. She even wipes it off for me, because she knows I eat it right away. And today she was like 'omg you're back again you love these' or the French equivalent, and then said 'a bientot' which is like cya later! because she knows she'll see my smilin face tomorrow.
Tomorrow, we're going with the whole group to 3 different places in Provence. Look for that post this weekend.
Mom - I know you don't like when I only have pictures of scenery, so here are some human shots for you! <3
Us in front of the largest bronze octopus scultpture in France:
Me on the sea!

Katie, Nick, Ella, Christine, and MG on top of the mountain:


5 comments:
Eeee! I am so glad you have a fruit lady and a bread lady! I never had a bread lady (I don't like baguette), but I had a fruit man and he was just the cutest thing. We became fast friends after I left my bag of (purchased) fruit on his counter, walked all the way home and up my four flights of stairs, then ran back in a real hurry because the shop was closing. He always remembered me after that.
all of this talk of baguettes makes me feel as though it is absolutely necessary that I come to France and partake in these little treasures, yes?
I am rather jealous that you are a regular already! But really, what is wrong with PSU that it takes so long to become a regular?
Hey Lady! France seems awesome, I wish I could come visit. Your posts are so entertaining, love the pics keep 'em comin!
nik
You lucky dog mary.... I love the french food. Glad it all worked out for you. See you in Barcelona xx
Love Kimmy & hubby
Post a Comment